Thursday, April 16, 2009

Emily Haines and Metric

I really like Metric (they're Canadian, eh?) and they have a new album coming out...yesterday, I think! I should go and pick it up from my new favorite local music store, Slowtrain.

Anyway, Metric is a little on the pop-ish side of things, but I tend to gravitate toward upbeat, catchy music. They've put out a couple of albums now. Emily Haines, the lead singer, put out a solo album in 2006, which included this song:

Emily Haines, "Our Hell:"


My hands will shake, my eyes will burn
My throat will ache, watching you turn
From me toward your friends

Wow, that video is creepy. I really like the way it was filmed, although I'm not sure what's up with the pig mask or the clown. Now, let's pick up the tempo a bit.

Metric, "Gimme Sympathy:"


This video isn't all that creative, but it reinforces the small crush I already had on Emily Haines...

2 comments:

Ironic collector said...

I too am a big fan of Metric - the first song I heard of them was "The Twist" - and it helped fill out a category of music I am collecting - this category is modern music that shares (or stole) titles from oldies. So - here's what I have so far:

The Book of Love: Mike Doughty (I know, Magnetic Fields did this one too, but I like Mike Doughty's version) and who every did the oldies version

The Twist: Chubby Checker and Metric

California Girls: The Beach Boys and Magnetic Fields.

Be Like the Squirrel, Girl said...

This is a great idea - I will let you know if I think of any songs to add to your collection. :)